Hi all, I said i would do a write out on how to buy from the US. Since someone pmed me and asked me, i thought i might as well do it now.
I use comgateway mainly to ship my stuff to Singapore. The other companies like vpost are similar if you choose to do so. I've done more than 40 or 50 shipments with Comgateway and they have never failed me before, so i continue to use them. Its your own preference.
1. Register with comgateway. (You need an Amex, OCBC or HSBC credit card)
2. Obtain your 'US' address.
3. Purchase your stuff from any US website. (They must accept your payment method. Some sites do not accept non-US credit cards or funds)
4. Ship to the above US address.
5. When the items arrives at that address, you will receive an email notification. You can store your items there up to 30 days. If you have more than 1 package to send, you may wait for the rest to arrive and consolidate the shipment.
6. Upon receipt of all your items, check all the packages you wish to send and proceed to make payment.
7. After payment, you will receive a shipment notification usually at the end of the day to let you know the DHL tracking number.
8. Wait for the package to arrive.
Note / Tips :
a) no GST charges up to US$300
b) Delivery from US to SG is via DHL and tracking all the way is available.
c) Insurance for lost packages is tagged to the amount declared for the packages. If you under declare and lose the items, its your problem.
d) You may call DHL for self-collection at their distribution centers if you need the items urgently. (esp if items arrive on Sat/Sun)
e) Free upgrade of shipping to express for most credit cards using comgateway.
f) US$11 for 1st KG and US$2.7 for 0.5 kg thereafter.
g) Try and 'plan' your shipments. e.g. if you have many packages and you know its going to incur GST, break it up to 2 shipments. Might be cheaper. If your item is more than US$300, then too bad. just pay govt.
h) There is promo usually for first time user, so you will get 10-15$ off your shipment.
i) The system will tell you that you incur GST. In this case you can cancel the shipment and 'repackage' your shipment.
j) if the item is very bulky, be prepared to pay a huge sum for shipping. In short, don't ship bulky items using this service!
Try it, its easy. =)
I'm not sure where i should post this, so if this category is wrong, mods, pls move it. Thx.