Author Topic: Dayang or Tioman  (Read 12123 times)

alexlee

• Singapore Scuba Diving Forum
Dayang or Tioman
« on: 25 Apr 13, 11:07 »
So which is more popular?? Just curious... Me and my friends were torn on these 2 island... So what's your preference?? Lets do a poll!!

NigelLek

Re: Dayang or Tioman
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 13, 14:04 »
Diving wise, both would be about the same. End up, what you see depends on heng suay.

If you prefer a quieter natural environment, I would say dayang.

If you prefer somewhere with slightly more facility and slightly more commercialized, Tioman

mel

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 13, 14:24 »
for me (personal opinon)

Dayang pros:
better marine life, vis, more laidback, less crowded (mostly divers only),
dive sites are near to resort.

cons: basic accom, long boat ride to the island. not much entertainment topside.

Tioman pros:
better accom, more happening topside, more resort feel. shorter boat ride to island.

cons: better dive sites are further. more crowded. marine life is not as good.

alexlee

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 13, 15:16 »
Wahahaha.... It seems everyone has the same dilemma...

kllee

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 13, 10:30 »
Actually, the northern part of Tioman, Salang, has marine life because it's the northern tip and currents coming across bring nutrients to the marine life. Chebeh is lovely, and Malang is my favourite for swim throughs. The marine life along the middle part of Tioman has literally been dived to death.

Alvin Ho

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 13, 11:07 »
Actually, the northern part of Tioman, Salang, has marine life because it's the northern tip and currents coming across bring nutrients to the marine life. Chebeh is lovely, and Malang is my favourite for swim throughs. The marine life along the middle part of Tioman has literally been dived to death.

middle part of tioman still holds surprises if you are willing to explore. for example renggis is a place where i explore the sandy patches away from the reef. me and the wife have found lovely critters like a couple of gymnodoris nudibranchs, imperial shrimps, skeleton shrimps, sea star shrimps, juvenile false stonefish amongst other macro life.
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 100mm L Macro, Canon 16-35mm L, Canon 8-15mm FE, Nexus Housing
Sony A7R2, A6300 Sony 90mm Macro, Nauticam Housing
Inon Z-240 Strobes, Weefine Video lights, FIT Focus lights

globalcookie

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 13, 16:30 »
I'm quite an inexperience diver.  Would love to do a few short weekend dive trips from time to time and Dayang came to mind.  I sourced the internet and found a few operators from Singapore, which of cos, makes it convenient (depart on Fri evening, return on Sun night). 

Anyone did a 'DIY' trip, where you make your own way there and arrange your diving?  Any decent savings compared to package?  For package trips, anyone care to share your experience? 

Forgotten to also ask.  What other activities are there?  What can we do after diving (back on the island)?  What about food and drinks?  Thank you very much for all the valuable advise.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 13, 16:31 by globalcookie »

epic007

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 13, 16:35 »
hi alex,

so when do u plan to dive in these island?

Alvin Ho

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 13, 17:40 »
I'm quite an inexperience diver.  Would love to do a few short weekend dive trips from time to time and Dayang came to mind.  I sourced the internet and found a few operators from Singapore, which of cos, makes it convenient (depart on Fri evening, return on Sun night). 

Anyone did a 'DIY' trip, where you make your own way there and arrange your diving?  Any decent savings compared to package?  For package trips, anyone care to share your experience? 

Forgotten to also ask.  What other activities are there?  What can we do after diving (back on the island)?  What about food and drinks?  Thank you very much for all the valuable advise.

I know the resort manager personally and as much as I know, he doesn't deal with individuals/groups of friends so as not to undercut the Spore/Malaysia based dive shops that go to Dayang.

For dayang, there's a small beach where you can play beach volleyball or football. But that beach shifts away as the diving season goes on. late in the year the beach front is no longer there. Food is buffet style and there are 2 small provision shops that sell limited choice of drinks and snacks.
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 100mm L Macro, Canon 16-35mm L, Canon 8-15mm FE, Nexus Housing
Sony A7R2, A6300 Sony 90mm Macro, Nauticam Housing
Inon Z-240 Strobes, Weefine Video lights, FIT Focus lights

m@verick

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 13, 20:29 »

i did a DIY trip to tioman earlier in march. spent about $500 on transport, accom + AOW. cost savings ~$80-$100. not too sure of the charges for leisure dives tho.

instead of the usual fri evening depart sun night return with local DCs, i departed thurs early mrng, got back sun night. the down side is the coordination of the coach + ferry timings.

i stayed at swiss cottage at tekek and dived with tioman dive centre. you can check them out online. the staffs at the DC and resort are pretty cool and DC is within about 50m from my room. for my AOW, it was only the 2 of us with 1 instructor and a DM trainee so it was awesome!

main reason i did a DIY is cos i wanted more time on tioman and not want to rush the whole trip.

i did not find much other activities to do there except for a beach bar. you can find a few restaurants and shops there selling food, drinks and other necessities. it was my 1st time in tioman so maybe there are places which i haven't found!