Author Topic: Dayang or Tioman  (Read 12129 times)

alexlee

• Singapore Scuba Diving Forum
Re: Dayang or Tioman
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 13, 23:41 »
I'll be going on June 21-23... Tioman, B&J, ABC beach... My friends are going to take their AOWC... We took our OWC frm there too....

Actually will go Dayang on Aug..

globalcookie

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 13, 09:55 »
I know the resort manager personally and as much as I know, he doesn't deal with individuals/groups of friends so as not to undercut the Spore/Malaysia based dive shops that go to Dayang.

...there are 2 small provision shops that sell limited choice of drinks and snacks.
Hmm I can understand.  This will help to maintain a healthy dive industry in Dayang.  The 2 provision shops, I hope they do sell beer.  Not that I'm a drinker, but chilling out at night under the stars, nice! 

Oh, would you know if there are sandbug problems on their beaches?  Last time Tioman's beach has this problem (not sure now).

i did a DIY trip to tioman earlier in march. spent about $500 on transport, accom + AOW. cost savings

instead of the usual fri evening depart sun night return with local DCs, i departed thurs early mrng, got back sun night. the down side is the coordination of the coach + ferry timings.

i stayed at swiss cottage at tekek and dived with tioman dive centre. you can check them out online.

i did not find much other activities to do there except for a beach bar. you can find a few restaurants and shops there selling food, drinks and other necessities.
Only thing about DIY trips is, a bit of uncertainty, having to move around on your own, as compared to package.  But yes, the upside is the flexibility of time.  I would think there are not much to do on these islands. 

Tioman, from what I know (last time), there is only that small stretch of village where the dive shops are.  There really isn't much to expect from these few island, as it isn't as commercialized as bigger islands.  I will check and see if there are nice dive sites around Tioman too.  I hear the nearby islands are better as Tioman's dive sites are over explored.

Alvin Ho

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 13, 13:50 »
Hmm I can understand.  This will help to maintain a healthy dive industry in Dayang.  The 2 provision shops, I hope they do sell beer.  Not that I'm a drinker, but chilling out at night under the stars, nice! 

Oh, would you know if there are sandbug problems on their beaches?  Last time Tioman's beach has this problem (not sure now).
Only thing about DIY trips is, a bit of uncertainty, having to move around on your own, as compared to package.  But yes, the upside is the flexibility of time.  I would think there are not much to do on these islands. 

Tioman, from what I know (last time), there is only that small stretch of village where the dive shops are.  There really isn't much to expect from these few island, as it isn't as commercialized as bigger islands.  I will check and see if there are nice dive sites around Tioman too.  I hear the nearby islands are better as Tioman's dive sites are over explored.

One of the provision shops at dayang sells beer. Not sure how much quantity is available though. BYOB to be safe.

For tioman i've done DIY trips as well. TRD is a good outfit to go with. Pretty much hassle free and competitive pricing.
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 100mm L Macro, Canon 16-35mm L, Canon 8-15mm FE, Nexus Housing
Sony A7R2, A6300 Sony 90mm Macro, Nauticam Housing
Inon Z-240 Strobes, Weefine Video lights, FIT Focus lights

Cool79

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 13, 03:53 »
last time i did compared the prices before, self drive up and etc, the saving is $50. for $50, I rather get a LDC to bring me over. :D

Support the LDC. I dive with StrideIn and it's much fun, as it's LOB. the price compared to normal landbase is $50 or $100 more, but u get 2 to 3 dives more. I did like 8 dives for one short weekend. :) Also is more relax

nemozie

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 13, 00:19 »
dayang and aur is soooo much better... The drift/wreck dive in between the two islands is awesome! Visibility is so much better.

Tioman for me is okay but i notice that the marine life there is not so healthy. Lots of dead corals n vis is not very good. Lots of boat traffic as well.

Well im not an experienced diver but thats my honest opinion. N for me, even though dayang/aur has poorer accommodation and facilities, i would rather stay there. Coz my purpose is to dive. i paid peanuts, i dont expect a luxurious butler service or a jacuzzi.

As for the facilities in Tioman,i have no say in it coz i never really get to step into the islands itself and stay at any of the resorts. I was on a liveaboard (MV the ARK),  we did not step foot onto any land except for Singapore. We dived around the surrounding reef (Tiger Reef,Rengis, Bahara Lighthouse & Leh Beh North).

Dayang/Aur is my favourite dive spot (the pinnacle 1, aur house reef,rayner's rock). The locals are very friendly and it has a way more quiet vibe for relaxation. Yes travelling might be a hassle but its more worth it. :P

hellhole

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 13, 00:28 »
If u can get to pinnacle. .... sometimes dayang and aur has tooo many owd that seldom go there. .. as the boat is shared. ..

Alvin Ho

« Reply #16 on: 20 May 13, 07:26 »
After a couple of hundred dives at Dayang and maybe about a hundred or so at Tioman, I would say each has it's merits.

Tioman will have a bigger variety of dive sites and greater variety of marine life if you search carefully. Some sites like Golden/Tiger reef has really lush coral growth and some big sea fans and soft coral areas. The coast along Tioman island itself is really good for macro dive, Tomok bay, Paya Beach area, Renggis. Heard good things about Salang jetty as well.

Dayang has some pretty pristine sites as well although with the set up of 2 big dive boats cum ferry filled with students on course you hardly go to the further off sites like Pinnacles and Pulau Pinang. Rayner's rock is always a fav with a variety of marine life to keep most divers happy. Macro life wise it's probably a bit harder to find exotic critters although i've found rare nudibranchs, xeno crab, ghost pipefish, orang utan crab, anemone crabs and others before. Vis is potentially better as it's further away from the coast compared to Tioman.
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 100mm L Macro, Canon 16-35mm L, Canon 8-15mm FE, Nexus Housing
Sony A7R2, A6300 Sony 90mm Macro, Nauticam Housing
Inon Z-240 Strobes, Weefine Video lights, FIT Focus lights

undertable99

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 13, 16:24 »
Just came back from dayang, quiet and serene but not as comfortable as tioman.

BareBear

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 13, 14:02 »
I heard that Dayang now charges $200 per head marine fee for diving, and no night dives allowed. Is that true?

Elerosse

• Safety Come First
« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 13, 15:07 »
I heard that Dayang now charges $200 per head marine fee for diving, and no night dives allowed. Is that true?

Donít think Dayang you need to pay. I can confirm that Aur you need to RM 200 Daily for diving + RM 40 for Marine Park fee.