Author Topic: Silicone Grease  (Read 6683 times)

discoburg

Re: Silicone Grease
« Reply #10 on: 06 Nov 13, 18:14 »
Yes the o-rings definitely can still be placed into the groove without the grease. Thats why i never advice my customers to use grease with the o-rings.
First point is wrong. Can the o ring still be placed in the groove if its not greased ? I think its still possible. The o ring works by deforming in a predictive manner. As long as it sits in the groove properly, it can do the sealing job. Maybe the link will explain it better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring
I do agree that the Mola-Molas are a MYTH!

DIN

• Global Moderator
    • Website Design & Maintained by RAWMIXMEDIA
« Reply #11 on: 06 Nov 13, 20:32 »
I agree with siaokao and discoburg. I too, find greasing unnecessary especially during dive trip. When I change battery, I usually just washed the o-ring to clean the dirt that stick to the o-ring. Wait for it to dry and put it back on. At the end of the trip or when I get home, I grease my o-ring lightly prior to the long storage. I don't have problem so far except for a few flooded cameras which were totally not my fault or greasing problem. My first underwater Ixus housing survived 5 years of abuse without even touching grease or o-ring replacement until I lost it.

limk

« Reply #12 on: 07 Nov 13, 12:42 »
IMO i grease lightly only thinking it helps as a water barrier in addition to the rubber

same views as applied to torch o-rings i assume??

a1v1n

• Singapore Scuba Diving Forum
« Reply #13 on: 08 Nov 13, 09:08 »
Whats the reason for greasing o-rings?
my thoughts are lubricating and preserving of the rubber.

Rubber (or elastomers) will harden over time and degrade. In such cases, the rubber will lose it elasticity and crack easily. Hence, grease is usually needed to keep them SOFT so that it can conform to the space needed for proper sealing. Most of the O rings used are made of NBR. Hence, using silicone grease will not be an issue. If you are not sure, you can get the grease from Andrew at S&S.

Replacing the O rings is definitely much better as rubber has a shelf life. Most important is to bring the O ring and housing down to the shop so they can do a test on the spot to check if it fits well.

err.. where is S&S?

discoburg

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 13, 18:13 »
It wouldn't preserve the o-ring
my thoughts are lubricating and preserving of the rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do agree that the Mola-Molas are a MYTH!

bighead

« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 13, 19:21 »
S&S is at Adelphi, 2nd level.