Author Topic: How much do we tip?  (Read 2195 times)

decimal86

• alamak the tank goes at the back
How much do we tip?
« on: 29 Oct 10, 07:50 »
folks,

just wondering if there is a guide for tipping the DM, staff, boatmen ? or just drop into the box at the reception? and if so how much ?

Ddivex

Re: How much do we tip?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 10, 08:31 »
i give direct to those that are involved only.
the amt will depend on how many days and the standard of living there. haha.
normally a tip equivalent 1 - 2 meal a day.
maybe i'm abit stingy. hahah.
revolution is nothing but the start of the next fall.

diver-hloc

• The Pale Fat Diverů
  • Global Moderator
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/hlocphotoscollections/albums
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 10, 09:25 »
I consider such things as level of service, cost of living in that area.... and most importantly, how much spare cash have I got  ;D

On avg.... In a dive group of 5-6 divers for 5-6 days of diving... we each paid around $40-$60 SGD into a pool for those invol with our group. DM (1-2 person) would get around 35-40% of the total amount... Boat Crew (2-5 person) would get around 40-45%. Any $$$ remain... would go to the kitchen staffs/room cleaner etc. If there isn't any.... then DM & Boat Crew get more $$$$....
Two things have altered not
Since first the World began
The beauty of the wild green earth
And the bravery of Man

decimal86

• alamak the tank goes at the back
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 10, 14:17 »
i think they deserve some appreciation as they haul our equipment, (even our sorry asses into the boat ?), show us the best sites, corner some of the most hard to find critters, cook for us (LOB), fill our tanks, wash our gear, certainly more deserving than some arty farty waiters in our restaurants....

'we only serve sparkling water sir...' wtf? already kena chop, and still forced to tip? anyway...

i give about 60 bucks for a 5D4N dive, mainly to the DM and boat men. my wife needs her gear to be hauled up from the water, so it is more work than normal. some of them are older than me and they haul that BCD/tank combo like they were hauling a squid on board !!

T-David

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 10, 19:22 »
Some resort/LOB based DC I know most of them have tip box but for dive safari usually I tip direct. Biggest bulk goes to Dive Guide , usually I count around 10-20 buck per day for both of us. Depend on how satisfied we are.
MDX-7D