Author Topic: Layang Layang  (Read 6913 times)

pyrroglaux

Layang Layang
« on: 28 Apr 11, 13:19 »
Hi fellow divers...

anyone been to LL and have any comments as we are planning to do a trip.

apart from the hammers... are the corals still very much alive? wut is it compare to in terms of marine life anyone knows?

appreciate your kind thots...

Gymrat76

Re: Layang Layang
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 11, 14:17 »
Got a mixture of dive sites, though most dives will be spent out 'in the blue' looking for hammerheads. Last year we saw a large school of 20+ hammers, but they were pretty deep, maybe 50m or so (we were at 40+m), and each year they are sighted deeper and deeper. We only saw them on the last dive on the last day.. so depending on your luck you may or may not see any.

Corals for other sites are ok, a number of wall dives and a few shallow reef dives close to the edge of the drop for macro stuff. I guess in terms of big stuff, its similar to Sipadan in the variety, but not the quantity.

Still, very enjoyable and hassle-free place to dive... I like

pyrroglaux

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 11, 15:35 »
Got a mixture of dive sites, though most dives will be spent out 'in the blue' looking for hammerheads. Last year we saw a large school of 20+ hammers, but they were pretty deep, maybe 50m or so (we were at 40+m), and each year they are sighted deeper and deeper. We only saw them on the last dive on the last day.. so depending on your luck you may or may not see any.

Corals for other sites are ok, a number of wall dives and a few shallow reef dives close to the edge of the drop for macro stuff. I guess in terms of big stuff, its similar to Sipadan in the variety, but not the quantity.

Still, very enjoyable and hassle-free place to dive... I like

Means the quality is not as good as sipadan?? :'(

Gymrat76

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 11, 17:02 »

Means the quality is not as good as sipadan?? :'(

Its different kind of diving.. Most ppl to LYLY go there for the hammers, which you won't see in Sipadan (unless you're damn lucky).. Sipadan is unrivaled in terms of variety and quantity of marinelife, sensory overload... LYLY you go to get your rocks off spotting hammerheads in the blue..

DiGopher

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 11, 17:13 »
i went LL last year, almost every dives are deep dives...always get headache...din enjoy so much...only managed to see the elusive hammers on last dive..food only average (surprisingly never had a meal of fish there), instead had frozen squared sotongs almost every meal...

Wont ever go back unless its heavily heavily subsidised (just like how i went in the 1st place) and i have my kakis with me...

pyrroglaux

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 11, 18:03 »
i went LL last year, almost every dives are deep dives...always get headache...din enjoy so much...only managed to see the elusive hammers on last dive..food only average (surprisingly never had a meal of fish there), instead had frozen squared sotongs almost every meal...

Wont ever go back unless its heavily heavily subsidised (just like how i went in the 1st place) and i have my kakis with me...

Hi bro,

u LOB or u stay on the island?

DiGopher

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 11, 18:35 »
stayed on the island...

Gymrat76

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 11, 18:52 »
stayed on the island...

Hmmm, I thought the food was pretty ok leh... nothing like Seaborne, but still pretty good.. you must have went on the chef's week off or something  ;D

DiGopher

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 11, 22:04 »
not sure if chef left already because they were on to their last few group at that time..Only reason i went was because it was super duper cheap(someone had to backout at the very last minute)...Next time if such a deal came up again, i really would think many times if i really wanna go...

My disclaimer : one man's steak is another's poison..

pyrroglaux

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 11, 22:51 »
thanks alot for the inputs.... now i am more confused  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???