Author Topic: Emergency Evacuation Plan from Dayang & Tioman  (Read 9381 times)

MrTakTahu

• So Others May Live...
Re: Emergency Evacuation Plan from Dayang & Tioman
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 11, 06:54 »
The onus on the medical practitioner to diagnose symptoms & render medical care. DAN will only manage the medivac. Still need a coordinator to take care of the ground efforts, etc. Presumably, it's job of the DC.

chintin

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 11, 07:58 »
I email DAN and got a reply from them.

I ask them the same question and here's their reply:  
The general answer to this querie is that you are evacuated to the nearest appropriate medical facility at the time of the accident and it is the Doctor on Duty's call where that is.

All evacuations are organised by DAN and TRAVEL ASSIST together regardless of the method of transport.

The ANSWER sounds like no answer to me  :(

« Last Edit: 11 May 11, 15:06 by chintin »

matrix23x

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 11, 08:22 »
why do i feel like the answer from them is like as gd as a do or die thing... as well as being evacuate will be late...

MrTakTahu

• So Others May Live...
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 11, 08:54 »
c'mon, let's be objective here! as much as DAN wanna help, they are also constraint by geo-political environment. at least, we can be rest assured that there's someone at the end of the line managing your emergency request in times of need.

the issue here is WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO IN THE MEANTIME TILL HELP ARRIVES...

limk

« Reply #14 on: 11 May 11, 09:40 »
the local diveshop/resort can do stuff before 'help' arrives
administer oxygen, remove the shark teeth, simple first aid etc, to prepare for evacuation
i think there's a clause in DAN's insurance saying they'll cover expenses related to evac if the travelassist are coordinating so ie. call em' first

Alvin Ho

« Reply #15 on: 11 May 11, 09:49 »
the local diveshop/resort can do stuff before 'help' arrives
administer oxygen, remove the shark teeth, simple first aid etc, to prepare for evacuation
i think there's a clause in DAN's insurance saying they'll cover expenses related to evac if the travelassist are coordinating so ie. call em' first

Yup reading the stories in the DAN newsletters really brings out the importance of the DAN travelassist people as their geared towards handling diving related issues. They're better equiped to handle and evaluate dive injuries as they know or they will have a dive doctor evaluate the symptoms and decide on the best course of action. Often times normal insurance companies are not equipped to do so and this results in delays in treatment or even dismissal of symptoms related to DCI or dive injuries.
From John's talk at Singpost before ADEX, i'm kinda assured that once DAN is called, he will be online/on the phone to manage your case every step of the way.
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 100mm L Macro, Canon 16-35mm L, Canon 8-15mm FE, Nexus Housing
Sony A7R2, A6300 Sony 90mm Macro, Nauticam Housing
Inon Z-240 Strobes, Weefine Video lights, FIT Focus lights

MrTakTahu

• So Others May Live...
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 11, 10:17 »
From John's talk at Singpost before ADEX, i'm kinda assured that once DAN is called, he will be online/on the phone to manage your case every step of the way.
That's the assurance you'll get from DAN!

It's vital that the DC, resort, etc has the necessary first aid equipment - at least an O2 & first aid kit at the very least in order to stabilise the victim till the evac arrives.

BlowBubbles

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 11, 13:26 »
Is it possible for the boat to head to international water and then call SG Navy for rescue?

Alvin Ho

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 11, 14:19 »
Is it possible for the boat to head to international water and then call SG Navy for rescue?

Interesting idea. Not sure how far is the international borders are from Dayang though. Gotta check that out.
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 100mm L Macro, Canon 16-35mm L, Canon 8-15mm FE, Nexus Housing
Sony A7R2, A6300 Sony 90mm Macro, Nauticam Housing
Inon Z-240 Strobes, Weefine Video lights, FIT Focus lights

MrTakTahu

• So Others May Live...
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 11, 14:27 »
dun tink it's a good idea as the distance from the islands to the Singapore Search and Rescue Region is quite far and poses more danger than safety. The reasons being rescue at sea is far more challenging as compared to land and the type of vessels used is also a big factor.

Tioman and Aur Islands are more closer to the Anambas Islands which fall under the Indonesian territory. That's why it's much easier to organise LOB trips to 7skies & Anambas Island as they are located within a few hours journey.