Author Topic: Sabah is BANNING the Shark Fin Trade  (Read 2497 times)

xariatay

• I'm FINished with FINs! Divers shd take the lead!
    • My Blog
Sabah is BANNING the Shark Fin Trade
« on: 28 Jun 11, 11:16 »
Congratulations, Sabah, Malaysia, you are moving in the right direction!

SHARK FIN TRADE TO BE BANNED http://newsabahtimes.com.my/nstweb/fullstory/49875
26th June, 2011
KOTA KINABALU: The state government will soon ban the trade in shark’s fins used in restaurant soup dishes.

Disclosing this yesterday, Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun said the government is currently doing all the preparatory work to eventually ban shark’s fins from the restaurants’ menu.

“And, we will start by gazetting sharks as a protected species under the provision of the existing state ordinance by early next year,” he said at the closing of the 6th Malaysia Association of Hotels (MAH) Environment Week and prize presentation for a boat race held at the Tanjung Aru first beach yesterday

Masidi said this would mean banning fishing of shark or shark finning and sale of the fish or any part of the fish in Sabah.

He added thast public education and dialogues with all the stakeholders would be held so that the people understand the rationale behind the decision to ban shark finning.

“My ministry in cooperation with the Fisheries Department and other relevant government agencies will conduct a study on the impact of the ban on local fishermen to ensure their livelihood will not be affected by the ban,” he said.

And, Masidi also said the government understands and is mindful of the fact that they would eventually be affected by the ban in shark’s fin soup “and we will engage them in discussions to give them reasonable time to finish off their existing stock”.

According to Masidi, some 80 per cent of the shark population in Sabah had been ‘harvested’.

He added that the sharks had generated a lot of revenue for the tourism industry especially in the diving sector. "

Thank you, Minister, for recognising divers as part of the solution.

Divers, you can be a part of the solution by diving at Sabah!  ;D

livinouttabox

• livinouttabox
Re: Sabah is BANNING the Shark Fin Trade
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 11, 11:40 »
Finally some progress! Hope it kicks in soon so I can go diving there. Self-imposed ban can be lifted
I'm Walking on Sunshine woah!! I'm Walking on Sunshine Woah!! Piak... Awww Dogshit...

SSI | NAUI | IANTD | SDI | PADI

chintin

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 11, 11:47 »
the story haven't finish yet ... the minister kena boombat like nobody business over there. .. we will see how long this BANNING will work ...  :-\

xariatay

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 11, 12:38 »
the story haven't finish yet ... the minister kena boombat like nobody business over there. .. we will see how long this BANNING will work ...  :-\

Yes, it is a very BRAVE move, that is not going to sit well with the fins traders & some of the restaurants. Tourists don't go to Sabah for its shark fins (I don't think it is a culinary destination in M'sia, altho the pancakes with bean sprouts etc is quite nice!), they go there to have a chance to see the sharks alive & to see wildlife - orangutans etc. ;-)
The fins traders will just have to change their trade (yes, very difficult BUT it is a dying trade that does no good to our oceans!) or have an early retirement?

chintin

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 11, 12:54 »
Yes, it is a very BRAVE move, that is not going to sit well with the fins traders & some of the restaurants. Tourists don't go to Sabah for its shark fins (I don't think it is a culinary destination in M'sia, altho the pancakes with bean sprouts etc is quite nice!), they go there to have a chance to see the sharks alive & to see wildlife - orangutans etc. ;-)
The fins traders will just have to change their trade (yes, very difficult BUT it is a dying trade that does no good to our oceans!) or have an early retirement?

Law is states clearly ... but enforcement ? in sabah ? no way man (i have no trust in them ...at all)

livinouttabox

• livinouttabox
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 11, 13:33 »
Well, if they can persuade some of them to transfer from fishing boats to tour / patrol / sanctuary protection boats of sorts their transition might not be as worrying as presumed. If they get a fair wage, they have no incentives to continue finning... Hope it's not wishful thinking on my part.
I'm Walking on Sunshine woah!! I'm Walking on Sunshine Woah!! Piak... Awww Dogshit...

SSI | NAUI | IANTD | SDI | PADI

xariatay

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 11, 14:54 »
I'm with livinouttabox on that. That is why the ban works! It is total ban, unlike the shark finning loop-hole that EU is trying to fix. "banning fishing of shark or shark finning and sale of the fish or any part of the fish in Sabah."
I see that Sabah is trying hard to preserve its natural resources. Let's wish her all the luck that she needs. When some other country without shark fisheries but are involved in the shark fin trade try to shift the shark conservation responsibility, Sabah can proudly proclaim that "hey, I have done my part, what about you?!" (I am not going to name that some other country. :-X )

chintin

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 11, 15:48 »
I'm with livinouttabox on that. That is why the ban works! It is total ban, unlike the shark finning loop-hole that EU is trying to fix. "banning fishing of shark or shark finning and sale of the fish or any part of the fish in Sabah."
I see that Sabah is trying hard to preserve its natural resources. Let's wish her all the luck that she needs. When some other country without shark fisheries but are involved in the shark fin trade try to shift the shark conservation responsibility, Sabah can proudly proclaim that "hey, I have done my part, what about you?!" (I am not going to name that some other country. :-X )

Support !

GuGuBird

« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 11, 23:37 »

I'm a newbie here and i had signed the petitions stated in xariatay post. Fully support this action. Also, salute to Sabah for this proud action. Our own government should do their part and not just think how to squeeze dry the money of their own people pockets, what a shame.

xariatay

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 11, 09:35 »
Friends at Sabah are continuing to work hard! http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=%2F2011%2F8%2F11%2Fnation%2F9275787

"KOTA KINABALU: A shockingly large catch of sharks are being sold at the fish market here, raising concerns among conservationists who have been campaigning against this practise.

This prompted JCI Tanjung Aru chairman Aderick Chong to say: “There are just more sharks in the market than in the waters.

He said a month-long survey at the market conducted jointly by JCI and marine science discovery centre Green Connection showed the seriousness of the situation, adding that sharks could be driven to extinction."

Every diver can join the Global Shark Survey http://wildlife-conservation-sabah.webs.com/globalsharksurvey2011.htm