Author Topic: Is Mid March Really Divable On The East Coast?  (Read 2389 times)

peterm

Hi all,

Would like to know the experience of the season divers here on whether mid march is really a divable time on the east coast of Malaysia?

I'm planning a trip to Tioman next year March school holiday because of the early bird discount in accommodation.

However, I had an experience last year when I go to Sibu Island (not for diving) which is not far from Tioman
On the west side of the island was quite ok.
But the sea was really really rough on the east side of the island, and the hotel staff also told me the jelly fish season just started, so even their snorkeling trip was canceled.

I read some other post here saying that in fact Feb is better as there is mini storm in Mar before clearing up in April.

Thus, would like to hear any real life experience on the suitability for diving during that  time of the year on the east coast.

Thanks.

diver-hloc

• The Pale Fat Diverů
  • Global Moderator
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/hlocphotoscollections/albums
Re: Is Mid March Really Divable On The East Coast?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 11, 10:13 »
Mid March should be ok.... but with the climate nowadays... who can really tell.  :-[
Two things have altered not
Since first the World began
The beauty of the wild green earth
And the bravery of Man

Alvin Ho

« Reply #2 on: 04 Nov 11, 10:35 »
Late Feb to April is usually the transition period of the monsoon. Just like Sept to Nov is the changing of monsoon period. Both periods of time you will have days of great diving weather as well as days of horrible heavy rain and strong winds and big waves. It's a matter of luck as even in the peak season for diving you might have periods of bad weather.

Population explosions of jellyfish tend to occur at the start and end of monsoon season but by no means confined to that period of time. Just that the chance of having a sea full of little brown jellies is higher then.
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 100mm L Macro, Canon 16-35mm L, Canon 8-15mm FE, Nexus Housing
Sony A7R2, A6300 Sony 90mm Macro, Nauticam Housing
Inon Z-240 Strobes, Weefine Video lights, FIT Focus lights

peterm

« Reply #3 on: 04 Nov 11, 10:54 »
Late Feb to April is usually the transition period of the monsoon. Just like Sept to Nov is the changing of monsoon period.

Mid March should be ok.... but with the climate nowadays... who can really tell.  :-[

Thanks for the super fast replies!!!

Yeah, the weather is getting weird nowadays, even Spore has more once in 50 years storm.  ;)

Anyway, just for info, Berjaya Tioman is having a some early bird discount with 120 days advance booking.
So, the Mar 2012 school holiday starting 10 Mar 2012 is 128 days from today. (still have 8 days to think about it)  :)

Actually, I wanted to try Salang, but all seems to be B&B accommodation.
Is there any better accommodation on Salang to recommend? 
Sorry, now it's getting off topic.  :P

siaokao

• Global Moderator
  • 2xKS diver..
    • OMS
« Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 11, 10:56 »
Ya, Alvin is right. Wih changing weather pattern these days.. No one can be that sure about monsoon period. Very much depends on luck.  But generally chances will be ok by then. Even non-monsoon period can have horrible diving conditions.

As far as jellyfish is concerned, march to may usually have lots of small black jellyfish.  But should not be too much of a concern, just west a full suit, plus, I dun think they sting that bad! :P
So they call it a 'FACT' coz someone made some statements on a 'FACT SHEET'? hummm...

Alvin Ho

« Reply #5 on: 04 Nov 11, 11:31 »
Ya, Alvin is right. Wih changing weather pattern these days.. No one can be that sure about monsoon period. Very much depends on luck.  But generally chances will be ok by then. Even non-monsoon period can have horrible diving conditions.

As far as jellyfish is concerned, march to may usually have lots of small black jellyfish.  But should not be too much of a concern, just west a full suit, plus, I dun think they sting that bad! :P

actually those small brown ones are pretty bad. wear a hood if you have. i've got stung and didn't realise it till a few hours later then the stings started swelling and itching. and with thousands in the water there really is no way to avoid sometimes. protect every surface if possible.
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 100mm L Macro, Canon 16-35mm L, Canon 8-15mm FE, Nexus Housing
Sony A7R2, A6300 Sony 90mm Macro, Nauticam Housing
Inon Z-240 Strobes, Weefine Video lights, FIT Focus lights

livinouttabox

• livinouttabox
« Reply #6 on: 04 Nov 11, 12:36 »
I'm expecting polar bears in Tioman next year just confused how they navigated a wrong turn... La nina wrecks havoc everytime its around. Just be prepared that any trip you sign up for might be postponed last minute due to bad weather in March. Prepare vinegar if jellyfish blooms is expected and just cover up.

Berjaya (Redang) is opened even during Monsoon Months if I'm not mistaken. It's always diveable, just a matter of how hard it is to get out there and the risk involved.
I'm Walking on Sunshine woah!! I'm Walking on Sunshine Woah!! Piak... Awww Dogshit...

SSI | NAUI | IANTD | SDI | PADI

laksaman

« Reply #7 on: 04 Nov 11, 13:59 »
I was planning to go in mid-march too. on hearing this potent jelly, i am having 2nd thoughts.
thx for the info.

actually those small brown ones are pretty bad. wear a hood if you have. i've got stung and didn't realise it till a few hours later then the stings started swelling and itching. and with thousands in the water there really is no way to avoid sometimes. protect every surface if possible.

peterm

« Reply #8 on: 04 Nov 11, 14:58 »
I'm expecting polar bears in Tioman next year just confused how they navigated a wrong turn...

Berjaya (Redang) is opened even during Monsoon Months if I'm not mistaken. It's always diveable, just a matter of how hard it is to get out there and the risk involved.

;D
I wouldn't want to dive with polar bear even if I have the chance to

On a more serious note, I don't actually like to dive if the condition is too hard either.
My skill are not there yet and had a bad experience when I took my OW when there is a strong current.
Luckily, when I dived at Redang, and met a current again, the DM on that dive gave me good amount of time and some help to navigate through (and it helps to build the confidence)
And, that's why I have good memories of the Redang trip even though the visibility wasn't fantastic through the few days.

So, I would prefer to slowly build up the skill and rather than straight thrown into extreme ....    :)

Maybe I should try to contact the dive center for their opinion.
But will they just reply anything also can becoz of the potential business    ::)