Author Topic: Wearing Specs, can still dive?  (Read 5893 times)

fishor

Wearing Specs, can still dive?
« on: 21 Jul 10, 08:36 »
Hi,

New here, been thinking of taking the plunge into the deep blue. Im short sighted at about 200degree either eye. Am comfortable wearing contacts or specs. Could i still dive if i need to wear specs to see far?

Another question, am not really a swimmer, heard that we need to take a swimming test. Would that be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

diver-hloc

• The Pale Fat Diverů
  • Global Moderator
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/hlocphotoscollections/albums
Re: Wearing Specs, can still dive?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 10, 10:01 »
1st Question
Before I had my Lasik last year.... my eyesight was 675deg on my left eye and 500deg on my right. Wore contect for diving from 2004-2009. But due to age.... became "Hyperopia" (can't see near) when I wore contect. Therefore.... your 200deg is nothing to worry about.

2nd Question
How bad a swimmer are you ??

*Panic when feet can't touch the bottom of the pool ??
*Can't swim at all ??
*Can swim in pool for 10-20m without touching the floor of the pool ??
*Can swim longer till tried but NOT fast ??

A good Dive Centre (DC) or Dive Instructor (DI) should conduct a simple swimming test to see how comfortable you are in the water. Most likely asking you to swim a lap around the swimming pool on your own timimg. Since most, if not all scuba diver use Buoyancy Control Device (BCD)... which is a floatation device you wear that could be inflated on the surface like a float. Therefore... if nothing goes wrong, you don't even have to 'kick water' on the surface.... but slowly paddle to the boat.

I would said you need only be very comfortable in water (not panic)..... able to swim without floatation for perhars 50  metres (more would be better).

Just my 2-cents worth.....  ;)
Two things have altered not
Since first the World began
The beauty of the wild green earth
And the bravery of Man

siaokao

• Global Moderator
  • 2xKS diver..
    • OMS
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 10, 11:11 »
I wore contacts when diving.. 375 both eyes.

PADI require you to be able to swim 200m or 300m with fins, mask and snorkel.  You can swim at your own time and can even stop for a while and continue (I THINK!!).  Need to be able to thread water for 5 mins.

In most cases, its not difficult.  With alittle training, should not be an issue at all.

In actual case when you go diving, there are almost no swimming involved.  You float around.. below the surface and on surface.  You only need it in an emergency, such as your BCD fail to inflate etc.  In any case, its actually easier then in the pool coz you have fins (unless you lose them!).. effort is minimum.

However, proficiency in water usually means you are also comfortable in water.  If you are not comfortable, chances you getting panicky is higher in an "emergency" or performing drills, thus may not be able to react in a proper manner.
So they call it a 'FACT' coz someone made some statements on a 'FACT SHEET'? hummm...

DIN

• Global Moderator
    • Website Design & Maintained by RAWMIXMEDIA
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 10, 11:47 »
You can wear contacts to dive, no worries. Even if you find contact are troublesome, you can buy mask and fix a prescribed lens. It cost about $50 per lens, but not too sure. Maybe those with prescribed lens can comment. But it save the hassle of contact lens.

Swimming is not a test. The Instructor just need to make sure that you are comfortable in the water. If you cant swim, just lie down with your head facing up. You will naturally float. Then use your hand to move around. I think this will do because there is not time limit for the swim.

p.s. I dont even remember taking a swimming test for my OW. ;)

xariatay

• I'm FINished with FINs! Divers shd take the lead!
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 10, 13:26 »
Wearing contacts is no problem.
If you like to learn diving, practice your swimming 1st. Don't need to swim very well but it is important to be comfortable in water. Practice makes perfect...  ;) Good luck! Hope u learn to dive!
Would like to relate a story:
We were in Maldives, there was a whale shark in the water, most of us got ready to jump in with snorkeling stuff... A few were hesitant because they said they weren't good swimmers, they were afraid... The conditions were ok, the sea was calm... They had learned to dive (AOW) but had not learned to snorkel.  ;D

hellhole

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 10, 13:32 »

like everyone mention.. u need to be able to swim about 300-400m and thread water like 5-10min...

if u can't do it well... then i suggest u train up as you take the course... its not too difficult..

and hopefully u will be quite okay when u take your OW...

Reason why i think it important.. its because, you are swimming in the open sea.. not in a swimming pool.  in a pool, u can still see and probably touch the bottom.. that is not always the case in the big open sea.

there are current, and many dangers that are part of diving as well.

siaokao

• Global Moderator
  • 2xKS diver..
    • OMS
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 10, 15:49 »
Ppl.. ability to swim IS a requirement for PADI OW course.  Swim 200m, if using fins, 300m.  Thread water 5 mins.

Other agencies, I not sure, but I'll find it strange if they will certify ppl to dive in open water when they cannot swim!
So they call it a 'FACT' coz someone made some statements on a 'FACT SHEET'? hummm...

fishor

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 10, 20:05 »
Being comfortable in water is not an issue for me as I was formally a wakeboarding instructor. But most of the time with my wakevest or what you would call a pfd. Only worry if I had to swim a certain distance within a time frame.

About the mask, was told by my friends to get my own mask and fins even for my open water test, for hygiene I guess. Could I get any mask off the market and fit them with prescribtion lens?

siaokao

• Global Moderator
  • 2xKS diver..
    • OMS
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 10, 21:21 »
You can take ur time.. swim slowly.. no hurry..  ;D

As for hygiene, mask and fins are the least of ur concern.. these can be cleaned easily.  You should be more concern abt wetsuits, ppl like to pee in them.. and regulators, ppl vomits in them.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

diver-hloc

• The Pale Fat Diverů
  • Global Moderator
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/hlocphotoscollections/albums
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 10, 23:00 »
Ppl.. ability to swim IS a requirement for PADI OW course.  Swim 200m, if using fins, 300m.  Thread water 5 mins.

Other agencies, I not sure, but I'll find it strange if they will certify ppl to dive in open water when they cannot swim!

Yes.... while ability to swim IS required for PADI OW course.... I also didn't do any 'test' when I was taking my OW in Thailand.  :P

Two things have altered not
Since first the World began
The beauty of the wild green earth
And the bravery of Man