Author Topic: Diving in Okinawa?  (Read 9065 times)

lukold

Diving in Okinawa?
« on: 14 Apr 13, 12:56 »
Hi all!

Realised my side trip will take me to Okinawa thus the urge to dive again since i'll be having all my dive equip with me still.

Does anyone has any contacts for Okinawa? I've been to the previous ADEX and sent out a few mails to dive shops which I do not know still operate. - They havent replied :(

Help appreciated!

MrTakTahu

• So Others May Live...
Re: Diving in Okinawa?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 13, 08:25 »
Get in touch with LivingSeas. They have organised trips to Okinawa before.

limk

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 13, 10:46 »
if i remember correctly there's a naui diveshop there that has english speaking guides, a quick google shld do
(sorry forgot as my jap fren organised last time)

depending on schedule u could do some island hopping-diving
do yonaguni island, ishigaki island....

caleb

« Reply #3 on: 09 Oct 13, 00:14 »
hi all I am going to Okinawa for diving. anything to look out for? how's the water temp over there during dec period? would a thermal guard be sufficient as usually I would just wear a surf shirt for diving in tioman.

EpicallyEpic

• Singapore Scuba Diving Forum
« Reply #4 on: 09 Oct 13, 10:34 »
I remember acquaintances that have dived Yonaguni telling me that they had to call up the dive shops to get their bookings sorted out as they never got any response over email. With a Japanese dictionary and plain English :) But that was years ago.

caleb

« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct 13, 11:22 »
so far my friend still emailing them, the agent is an angmo so no communication problem. seems like not much folks ard here went okinawa.

limk

« Reply #6 on: 09 Oct 13, 11:27 »
hi all I am going to Okinawa for diving. anything to look out for? how's the water temp over there during dec period? would a thermal guard be sufficient as usually I would just wear a surf shirt for diving in tioman.

few people go because it's too costly as a focus trip and probably they're in the vicinity in Japan itself or nearby Taiwan.
waters are largely temperate like phuket so 3mm is enough however yonaguni / night dives are a bit more chilly (hood recommended and long wetsuit not shorty).

yonaguni: the famous mysterious underwater 'city'
other sites: all tropical stuff can see - manta, turtle, shark, shrimp, lobster etc. night dives are awesome - puffer, crabs, etc...

awesome: fresh sashimi after a dive, or hot miso soup / chilled beer after last dive awaiting sunset

i'd recommend a 3/2mm wetsuit (3mm on body, 2mm on arms/legs) thinner style main suit, and a rash guard + 1mm hoodie, cutaway gloves (fingers exposed). ditch the hood if too much weight. temp def not as cold as nusa penida bali.
with that u can have combination of i. just wetsuit, ii. all, or iii. rashguard/shorts/hoodie.

if u're diving with any japanese speakers it would help lots [e.g. car rental]
also, if u like to use smb please ask permission [friend told me that the DM there wanted me not to launch my own smb and only the local divemaster could do so as it was their duty - seeming usurp the established authority there. lol.]
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 13, 11:32 by limk »

caleb

« Reply #7 on: 09 Oct 13, 11:54 »
few people go because it's too costly as a focus trip and probably they're in the vicinity in Japan itself or nearby Taiwan.
waters are largely temperate like phuket so 3mm is enough however yonaguni / night dives are a bit more chilly (hood recommended and long wetsuit not shorty).

yonaguni: the famous mysterious underwater 'city'
other sites: all tropical stuff can see - manta, turtle, shark, shrimp, lobster etc. night dives are awesome - puffer, crabs, etc...

awesome: fresh sashimi after a dive, or hot miso soup / chilled beer after last dive awaiting sunset

i'd recommend a 3/2mm wetsuit (3mm on body, 2mm on arms/legs) thinner style main suit, and a rash guard + 1mm hoodie, cutaway gloves (fingers exposed). ditch the hood if too much weight. temp def not as cold as nusa penida bali.
with that u can have combination of i. just wetsuit, ii. all, or iii. rashguard/shorts/hoodie.

if u're diving with any japanese speakers it would help lots [e.g. car rental]
also, if u like to use smb please ask permission [friend told me that the DM there wanted me not to launch my own smb and only the local divemaster could do so as it was their duty - seeming usurp the established authority there. lol.]

thanks for all the details! they are helpful! ^^

tingfeng

« Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 13, 16:41 »
Hi ,

I am going in Dec as well. Able to recommend any good Dive Centres at Okinawa?

caleb

« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 13, 16:46 »
Hi ,

I am going in Dec as well. Able to recommend any good Dive Centres at Okinawa?

which period are you going? i am there between 7-14 dec. my friend is finalising the details with the dive centre, but i have to ask him which dive centre.